Do you love the look of a clean crisp white blouse? I surely do because it is always a winner. It is a year round staple. The white blouse look fabulous with a simple skirt or pants. Nary a photo shoot goes by without someone in this classic vision of beauty and style. But finding the perfect white blouse can be as difficult as finding the perfect swimsuit.
So here are my 8 tips for your white shirt quest
- Shape: Look for a blouse that is tapered and not too boxy
- Design: Vertical darts ensure that tapered look
- Proportion: Make sure if you are wearing un-tucked, that the blouse is not too long and out of proportion for your frame
- Fabric: Cotton with a bit a spandex mixed in is one of the best fabrics, because you avoid wrinkles and the blouse moves with you
- Fit: Sit in the blouse, and see if there is any ‘gap-o sis’ in the front causing a peek-a-boo issue. Try the product ‘No See ‘ems’ (see below) if this is a problem for you, or wear a thin camisole
- Buttons: Make sure the buttons line up properly the buttonholes are not frayed
- Added Touch: French cuffs add an air of elegance, make sure they hit just right below the wrist bone
- Around the Neck: Check the collar, and if it is too high it may chaff your neck
Where to shop:
Start with Banana Republic, as they have a way with the cotton/spandex blend that I favor. Note that BR doesn’t always carry the white blouse, so buy it when you find it.
My ultimate white blouse is from Anne Fontaine (www.annefontaine.com). Scrumptious and the tailoring: impeccable.
If white absolutely washes you out, then opt for ivory or a soft pastel.